On behalf of the 2022 Spring Meeting Program Committee and the ASRA Pain Medicine Board of Directors, we are excited to welcome you back to Las Vegas, NV, for the 47th Annual Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Medicine Meeting and workshops taking place March 31-April 2, 2022. We recognize that the state of the pandemic in the coming months is uncertain; however, we are committed to providing a safe and innovative, in-person, meeting full of basic and clinical translational science, hands-on and demonstration workshops, and problem-based breakout sessions with the experts.
We have chosen the theme “Regional Anesthesia Sustainability” for the meeting.
This theme reflects our intention to provide perspectives on what regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine practices have stood the test of time, which are impacting the opioid crisis today, along with highlighting exciting new innovative therapies with potential to benefit patients into the future.
ASRA Pain Medicine membership, we have listened! Based on your feedback, we have adapted the annual meeting to be more diverse and inclusive. We recognize that “diversity” goes beyond personal characteristics and have built a program with geography and practice location diversity and have been deliberately inclusive with our faculty selections as well.
Sessions sponsored by special interest groups (SIGs) will feature content endorsed by the Education in Regional Anesthesia, Pediatric Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management, Perioperative Medicine, Perioperative Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS), Persistent Perioperative Pain, Regional Anesthesia Cardiothoracic Enhanced Recovery, Cannabis in Acute and Chronic Pain, Global Health, Green Anesthesia, LGBTQA, Wellness, Physician Mentorship and Leadership Development, and Women in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine SIGs.
Moreover, we have made an intentional effort to design a diverse program that will be of interest to the private practice regional anesthesia enthusiast as well as the academician. The main stage, workshops, and interactive sessions will feature faculty with “true” private practice perspectives.
Based on your feedback, we have adapted the annual meeting to be more diverse and inclusive. We recognize that “diversity” goes beyond personal characteristics and have built a program with geography and practice location diversity and have been deliberately inclusive with our faculty selections as well.
Regional Anesthesia Technical, Acute Pain Medicine, and In-Person Networking Meeting Highlights:
- We will kick off the program on March 31 with ASRA Pain Medicine President Dr. Samer Narouze and U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Rachel Levine addressing both the opioid crisis and the coronavirus pandemic. Dr. Levine, a graduate of Harvard College and Tulane University School of Medicine, previously worked as a pediatrician and is the first transgender, four-star U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officer.
- In true Las Vegas “Rat Pack” fashion, we have adapted our ticketed, hands-on workshops to have a “procedure-specific” rather than a “block-aimed” focus. These “Block Packs” will include multimodal analgesia and regional techniques for shoulder, hip, knee, spine, abdominal, elbow and hand, breast and thoracic, and foot and ankles injuries and surgeries. In addition, expanded point-of-care ultrasound offerings or “POCUS Packs” will feature point of care for airway, cardiac/FATE, diaphragm, eFAST/IVC, gastric and lung ultrasound. Workshop faculty vetted for their specific expertise are thrilled to provide you an adult learning educational platform in advance of the meeting. Prework will be offered and encouraged to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to learn the multimodal strategies and practice the regional and POCUS strategies that you want to learn! Please register early and secure your seat in these workshop offerings. Due to popularity, same day registration is unlikely to be possible.
- Additional ticketed Interactive Demonstration workshop offerings include “The 3D Anatomy Experience,” a special interactive workshop where participants wear 3D glasses loaded with regional anatomy collections paired with an expert-led, LIVE ultrasound scanning demonstration, as well, as “Stump the Chump”-style demonstration masterclasses.
- Also, we have offerings to satisfy your participation in the Practice Management Portfolio and the American Society of Anesthesiologists Diagnostic Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate Program.
- Moreover, the meeting will provide a variety of exciting and comprehensive learning opportunities for residents and fellows, including the ever-popular Resident and Fellow Meet and Greet with regional anesthesia and pain medicine fellowship directors and Regional Anesthesia and POCUS Hands-On workshops, exclusively for residents and fellows.
We are excited to feature within the main program internationally renowned invited experts—Drs. Jaime Baratta, Michael Barrington, Karen Boretsky, Jan Boublik, Andrea Chadwick, Ki Jinn Chin, Steven Cohen, Kariem El-Boghdadly, Nabil Elkassabany, Kayser Enneking, Jeff Gadsden, Stuart Grant, Raj Gupta, Stephen Haskins, Nadia Hernandez, Maggie Holtz, Terese Horlocker, Brian Ilfeld, Hari Kalgara, Sandy Kopp, Kwesi Kwofie, Gregory Liguori, William Manson, Edward Mariano, Colin McCartney, Alan Macfarlane, Anahi Perlas, David Provenzano, Meg Rosenblatt, Eric Schwenk, Brian Sites, Santhanam Suresh, Ban Tsui, Vishal Uppal, Eugene Viscusi, and many more.
Finally, there is no better location to offer this substantive and sustainable assortment of new and traditional educational offerings on regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine and in-person networking opportunities than within “the City that Never Sleeps,” Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, NV, internationally renowned for fine dining, shopping, entertainment, and nightlife.
We are certain the 47th annual meeting and Las Vegas will be fun and have something for everyone to enjoy!
Rebecca L. Johnson, MD
Don't let what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas - you'll learn practical, clinical information that you can take home and put into immediate use!