ASRA Resident / Fellow of the Year AwardNov 1, 2014
ASRA Resident of the Year - 2014
Rengaragjan Janakiraman, MD
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Miami, FL
ASRA Resident of the Year - 2013
Ankeet D. Udani, MD
Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA
Dr. Udani is a Stanford anesthesia resident and a member of the department's Fellowship in Anesthesia Research and Medicine program. At the time of his nomination, Dr. Udani had completed six months of research as a resident had been selected by faculty and his peers to serve as the Senior Resident Teaching Scholar. One of his first projects as a resident was studying the use of emerging technology, head-mounted display, in ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia. He presented his preliminary findings at the 2011 ASRA Spring Annual Meeting and published his results in the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. Dr. Udani's current research interests include studying the role of deliberate practice in instructing novices in placing subarachnoid blocks, the further use of a head-mounted display to improve ergonomics of ultrasound guided regional anesthetic techniques, and the impact of simulation-based curricula on teaching clinicians.
The Resident of the Year Award is given annually to a resident or fellow who has demonstrated significant contributions to ASRA events or activities related to Regional Anesthesia and/or Pain Medicine.
- The candidate must be an ASRA resident / fellow member in good standing.
- The Resident Section Committee (RSC) shall seek nominations from the membership in writing, and the nominee must agree to such a nomination.
- Nominations may be submitted by ASRA active, affiliate, and resident / fellow members.
- Self-applications are not eligible.
- Active Resident Section Committee Chair and Chair-Elect are not eligible for nomination.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years; however, previous winners of the same award are not be eligible to win again.
- Past winners of other Society awards are eligible.
- Nomination letter addressing the criteria below.
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate.
- Applications for this award are adjudicated by the Resident Section Committee Chair, Chair-Elect, and Faculty Advisors.
- A candidate and an alternate will be selected from the list of nominations.
- The names of the selected candidate and the alternate for the award will be presented to the Board of Directors for confirmation at the Board Meeting after the Committee finalizes the selection.
- Demonstrated outstanding contributions to ASRA events or activities related to Regional Anesthesia and/or Pain Medicine.
- Contribution to the advancement of the profession of medicine, the welfare of residents; and/or, quality of residency education.
- Evidence of strong role modeling and mentorship ability among his/her peers.
- Embodies the values of ASRA.
- One award will be presented annually at the ASRA Annual Spring or Fall Meeting; however, an award need not be given annually.
- The award winner will receive a plaque recognizing his/her contribution, a travel award of up to $1500, and complimentary meeting registration.
- The winner may choose whether to receive the award at the Annual Spring or Fall Meeting and will be introduced at the Meeting by the President of ASRA, the Chair of the Resident Section Committee, or another distinguished individual.
- The Chair of the Resident Section Committee will give a brief presentation of the awardee's distinguished work performed in regional anesthesia and/or pain medicine leading to this award.
- 12:00AM EST, December 27, 2014. Late submissions will not be considered.