Take Care of Yourself during COVID
FACE COVID: How to Respond Effectively to the Corona Crisis
by Dr. Russ Harris, author of The Happiness Trap
This is a set of practical steps for responding effectively to the coronavirus crisis, using the principles of acceptance and commitment therapy.
Our New Normal: Taking Care of Us
COVID-19 brings with it fear, anger, anxiety, depression, etc. Unfortunately, this is not a case of being irrational. It’s our reality. However, when these thoughts overtake you and interfere with your work, relationships, etc. cognitive blocking techniques may help with increasing your sense of control. Especially when they hit when you are attempting to sleep/rest. If you find yourself ruminating about terrible scenarios, fixating on angry or negative thoughts etc. try these techniques.
Stop Negative Thoughts: Getting Started
This resource is based on information from the University of Michigan.
Additional wellness resources
- Buddhify: Meditation app for busy people, created by Rohan Gunatillake
- Mental Health Apps: Developed by the Department of Veteran Affairs, the Mindfulness Coach is particularly helpful.
- Woebot: Free app based on the principles of cognitive behavioral therapy
- Calm and Headspace: These apps are offering collections of free mindfulness and meditation resources online and through their apps. Health care providers can get free access to the Headspace Plus app using their National Provider Identifier (NPI).
(Books are available in a variety of formats, from a variety of sellers. Links are to amazon.com.)
- Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck Embrace Change and Thrive in Work and Life by Susan David
- Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life by Stephen Hayes, PhD
- The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living by Russ Harris
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chödrön
- Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Metropolitan Opera Nightly Met Opera Streams
- Open Culture Website: Adult coloring books, featuring art from museums around the world
- The Gift and Power of Emotional Courage by Susan David (TED Talk)
- Center for Mindful Self-Compassion
- Guided Meditations by Tara Brach
- Loving-Kindness Meditation (Mindful.org) by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- UC San Diego School of Medicine Center for Mindfulness
- UCLA Center for Health: Guided meditations
- Sitting Still Like a Frog and Sitting Still Like a Frog Activity Book Audio Exercies for children age 5-12
Noticing the Positive
- Awareness of a Pleasant Event calendar created by Jon Kabat-Zinn/MBSR
- Three Good Things by Therapist Aid
- Mood Lifters: a peer-led, evidence-based, self-help program for anxiety. Includes a group on anxiety about coronavirus and coping with isolation.
- Center for Clinical Interventions: evidence-based, self-guided treatment for a wide range of disorders and skills
Resources compiled by Lynn Kohan, MD, ASRA News section editor, and Dania Chastain, PsyD, pain psychologist, both of the University of Virginia.