Functional Medicine for Anesthesiologists and Pain Practitioners
Note: There is no cost to join the Functional Medicine for Anesthesiologists and Pain Practitioners SIG. By clicking "Join," you will automatically be added to the group. To view and make changes to your SIG, click on "Your profile" in the upper right.
- Increase awareness and education of anesthesiologist and pain practitioners about the basic science and clinical applications of functional medicine in the perioperative surgical home (PSH) and pain management.
- Improve patient outcomes through application of functional medicine principles as an integral part of the multidisciplinary approach for the treatment of pain and chronic illness.
Goals and objectives
- Educate members about the basic science and clinical applications of functional medicine in PSH and pain medicine
- Increase awareness of the evidence that support a patient-centered rather than a disease-centered treatment approach
- Understand the biochemical individuality of each patient based on concepts of genetic and environmental uniqueness
- Use patient-centered diagnosis and apply the concepts of antecedents, triggers, and mediators in assessment and work up of chronic pain and complex illness
- Develop skill and competence in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with complex chronic pain disease using diet, lifestyle, nutrient, and nonopioid pharmaceutical modalities
- Spread the knowledge base of functional medicine though communication with practitioners, educators, and policymakers.