- Increase awareness and education of anesthesiologist and pain practitioners about the basic science and clinical applications of functional medicine in the perioperative surgical home (PSH) and pain management.
- Improve patient outcomes through application of functional medicine principles as an integral part of the multidisciplinary approach for the treatment of pain and chronic illness.
Goals and Objectives:
- Educate members about the basic science and clinical applications of functional medicine in PSH and pain medicine
- Increase awareness of the evidence that support a patient-centered rather than a disease-centered treatment approach
- Understand the biochemical individuality of each patient based on concepts of genetic and environmental uniqueness
- Use patient-centered diagnosis and apply the concepts of antecedents, triggers, and mediators in assessment and work up of chronic pain and complex illness
- Develop skill and competence in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with complex chronic pain disease using diet, lifestyle, nutrient, and nonopioid pharmaceutical modalities
- Spread the knowledge base of functional medicine though communication with practitioners, educators, and policymakers.