Physicians applying for a fellowship program in regional anesthesiology/acute pain medicine must be currently enrolled in, or have completed, an accredited anesthesiology residency program. Each individual program may have additional requirements such as medical licensing. The information published here has been supplied by the individual institutions. Please check back frequently for updates.
Mount Sinai West & Morningside Hospitals Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Medicine Fellowship (ACGME accredited)
We are proud to be one of the 9 pioneering regional anesthesia fellowship programs in the United States to receive the very first inaugural ACGME accreditation in 2017. This represents an ongoing testament to our commitment to academic excellence and leadership development for our fellow.
Our comprehensive one-year fellowship is structured to graduate innovative academic and clinical leaders in regional anesthesiology with a global perspective on managing perioperative pain. Our fellow receives vast clinical exposure to neuraxial and peripheral nerve blockade including blocks of the head and neck, upper and lower extremities, and chest and trunk, with nerve-stimulator, ultrasound-guided, and continuous catheter techniques. Our fellow supervises and performs over 4,000 peripheral nerve blocks annually, with 800 of these blocks involving nerve catheters. Our 7 expert practicing regional anesthesia faculty along with 6 pain management attendings contribute to a robust clinical service as well as our clinical research and mentoring programs. Our fellow has two protected non-clinical days a week conducting clinical trials and advancing their supervision and teaching skills. The fellow has tremendous opportunities to shape biweekly didactic programs and workshops for residents, to lead in the development and establishment of our subspecialty, and to expand our practice into other surgical settings such as pediatric, trauma, perioperative ultrasound use, and international missions. The regional fellow also represents the department as an integral force participating in numerous departmental and hospital committees to formulate clinical standards and pathways to optimize patient outcomes.
In addition, academic involvement in major international conferences such as the ASA, PGA, and ASRA, with presentation of abstracts and workshops are strongly encouraged and supported. Fellow has no attending or call responsibilities. Our two hospital sites deliver services for the culturally diverse communities of the Upper West Side and West Midtown of Manhattan. Fellow resides in subsidized housing in the heart of New York in proximity to Times Square, Central Park, Broadway theater district, and a myriad of museums and restaurants.
We are seeking enthusiastic, vibrant, intelligent, collegial, and compassionate individuals with leadership potentials and unique visions for the future of our subspecialty.
This program uses the common application. Submit the completed application directly to the individual Fellowship Program.
- Specialty:Acute Pain/Regional Anesthesia
- Duration:12 months
- Start Year:
- Deadline: Accepted until position is filled
- Salary: PGY-5 $86,646 + benefits, subsidized housing
- Contact Person: Olivia Kenwell Fellowship Coordinator
- Email: Olivia.Kenwell@mountsinai.org
- Phone: 212-523-8442
- Department of Anesthesiology, Mount Sinai West & Morningside Hospitals
- 1000 Tenth Avenue
- New York
- New York 10019
- Telephone: 212-523-3975/212-523-8442
- Website: http://icahn.mssm.edu/departments-and-institutes/anesthesiology/programs-and-services/anesthesiology-residency-at-mount-sinai-st-luke-and-mount-sinai-roosevelt/regional-anesthesiology-fellowship
- Director: Yan Lai, MD, MPH, FASA
- Other affiliated faculty:
- Meg Rosenblatt, MD, FASA (Regional)
- Yan Lai, MD, MPH, FASA (Regional)
- Junping Chen, MD, PhD (Regional)
- Ali Shariat, MD (Regional)
- Malika Latmore, MD (Regional)
- Jason Lee, MD (Regional)
- Phil Kim, MD (Acute Pain)
- Paul Shekane, MD (Acute Pain)
- Steven Halle, MD (Acute Pain)
- Christopher Sikorski, MD (Acute Pain)
- Alopi Patel, MD (Acute Pain)
- Alexey Maryansky, MD (Acute Pain)
- Poonam Pai, MD (Regional)
- Participating hospitals:
- Mount Sinai West Hospital
- Mount Sinai Morningside Hospital
- Apply Here