ASRA Pain Medicine Provides Comments on Proposed 2022 CDC Clinical Practice Guideline for Prescribing Opioids
ASRA Pain Medicine has provided feedback to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding its proposed Clinical Practice Guideline for Prescribing Opioids. The comments specifically address the following issues:
- The need for a critical discussion on the role of different interventional pain procedures for chronic AND acute pain
- A desire for support for transitions to buprenorphine for patients unable to taper
- A request to articulate the need to prescribe naloxone for patients taking both opioids and benzodiazepines
- The need to address the harms of the existing waiver requirements and expand access to buprenorphine to facilitate treatment of opioid use disorder
- A request to provide greater nuance with respect to dismissal of patients from physician practices, including acknowledging circumstances where such dismissal may be appropriate.
The full letter can be viewed here.