Physicians applying for a fellowship program in regional anesthesiology/acute pain medicine must be currently enrolled in, or have completed, an accredited anesthesiology residency program. Each individual program may have additional requirements such as medical licensing. The information published here has been supplied by the individual institutions. Please check back frequently for updates.
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Medicine (RAAPM) Fellowship is structured to provide supervised training to board-certified or board-eligible anesthesiologists in the practice of regional anesthesia, acute pain management, and medical consultation for the full spectrum of surgical and invasive procedures in the hospital setting.
The goal of this program is to develop expertise in acute pain management as well as in the utilization of regional anesthesia techniques to optimize perioperative analgesia and facilitate patient recovery. This 12-month fellowship program will provide significant exposure and training in the management of acute pain through the use of innovative regional anesthesia techniques, neuraxial anesthesia, implementation of enhanced recovery strategies, and coordination of perioperative care.
MD Anderson serves as one of the largest comprehensive cancer centers in the world, thereby providing the unique opportunity for our fellows to develop additional expertise in managing the care of patients in this clinical environment. Our department provides acute pain management for both adult and pediatric patients with a variety of clinical presentations. Fellows will also have designated time for research opportunities as well as quality improvement projects, with the expectation to present at annual national conferences and work towards publishing in a peer-reviewed journal.
This program uses the common application. Submit the completed application directly to the individual Fellowship Program.
- Specialty:Acute Pain/Regional Anesthesia
- Duration:12 months
- Start Year:
- Deadline: April 1 (of prior calendar year before anticipated start)
- Salary: $74,837 (AY 2023-24)
- Contact Person: Monique Rodriguez, Program Coordinator or Mary Ann Oler, Education Program Coordinator
- Email: Mjvaldez@mdanderson.org or MAOler@mdanderson.org
- Phone: Monique: 713-563-7765 Mary Ann: 713-792-9530
- 1400 Holcombe Blvd.
- Unit 409
- Texas 77030
- Telephone: 713-792-6911
- Website: https://www.mdanderson.org/education-training/clinical-research-training/graduate-medical-education/residencies-fellowships/acute-pain-regional-anesthesia.html
- Director: Bryce Speer, D.O.
- Other affiliated faculty:
- Andrzej Kwater, M.D.- Associate Director
- Keyuri Popat, M.D.
- Semhar Ghebremichael, M.D.
- Shannon Hancher-Hodges, M.D.
- Antoinette Van Meter, M.D.
- Uduak Ursula Williams, M.D.
- Asca M. Zavala, M.D.
- Hart Donahue, M.D.
- Participating hospitals:
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (Main Campus)
- Houston Methodist Hospital (Ambulatory Surgery Center)
- Apply Here